Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weather Blues or February Funk?

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but I have always been amazed at how much capacity the weather has to impact people's moods, including my own. We are on at least Day #3 of non-stop rain, wintry mix, and cloudiness. The stormy weather is not supposed to let up until Sunday, with a sunny forecast on Monday. I have noticed a negative change in the moods of my friends, my family, and myself. It must be a combination of the stormy weather and the "February Funk," a tiredness of the winter and a readiness for the spring.

Why do we let the weather affect our moods? I don't think it is necessarily a conscious choice. I have felt more tired lately and have found it harder to wake up in the morning, especially when it is still dark and cloudy outside my window instead of bright and sunny, albeit cold. (At least New York does not have the absolutely frigid temperatures that Boston endures during the wintertime! I don't know how those Bostonians can stand it. It chills you down to your bones.)

My cure for the stormy weather blues:

1. Curl up with a good book or a good movie
2. Make yourself a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate
3. Cook up some comfort food (i.e. brownies, cookies, or Mom's homemade lasagna)
4. Find your fuzziest, warmest socks and put them on
5. If you have a Snuggie, use it. If not, find lots of blankets and get under the covers
6. Build a fire and roast up some 'Smores
7. Go to bed early! You'll thank me for this later.

If you try all this, and you still feel out of sorts, don't fear: Spring is almost here.

No comments:

Post a Comment